Easy Falafel Balls with Tzatziki Sauce
Falafel is a traditional Arab dish that has become quite popular in the west and can usually be found in any Arab, Greek or Mediterranean-style restaurant. Falafel typically does not contain any meat, dairy or other animal products, which makes it an easy go-to for people looking for a plant-based option. However, it never hurts to ask to be sure!
Falafel is actually quite easy to make at home and these falafel balls are a perfect addition to any wrap or salad, and are even good as a snack all on their own!
- 1 15 oz can of drained chickpeas
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley
- 1 tsp coriander
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 cups vegan coconut yogurt
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh dill (or 2 Tbsp dried dill per 1/4 cup fresh)
- 1 pinch each sea salt and black pepper
- 1 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1-2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 large cucumber, unpeeled and finely grated
- Combine all your ingredients into a blender or food processor and mix well until a thick paste is formed.
- Form small balls and fry in about 2 inches of oil until they are golden brown.
- Enjoy in a salad or wrap it up in a pita with some spinach, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, and the vegan tzatziki sauce.