Vegan Sausage Rolls
You may be scratching your head right now wondering how the word “vegan” can be placed next to “sausage.” Allow us to explain. You CAN have vegan sausage rolls! Serve them with your favorite dipping sauce. Enjoy!
Preparation Time: 1 hour
Ingredients (makes 12 rolls):
VEGAN “SAUSAGE” MINCE:
- 1 brown onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, finely chopped
- 10 oz extra firm tofu, drained and crumbled
- 1/2 cup wholemeal vegan breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp “smoked” paprika
- 1 tbsp soy milk
- 1/2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 3 slightly-thawed puff pastry sheets
- Ketchup or your favorite dipping sauce to serve
Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit and line a baking tray with baking paper.
In a bowl add all “sausage” ingredients and mix until combined. Slightly mash for a more combined texture.
Divide the mixture into 6 equal portions.
Cut the three slightly-thawed puff pastry sheets in half to make a total of 6 rectangles.
Place the sausage mixture into the centre of the rectangles and make a sausage longways down the pastry sheet.
Use your finger to wet the edges of the pastry sheet and fold them over.
Place the rolls on the baking tray and cut them all in half to make a total of 12 sausage rolls.
Use a pastry brush to brush a light coat of soy milk on to the tops of the sausage rolls.
Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown and puffy. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Now start receiving compliments for your crazily delicious vegan healthier sausage rolls!
This recipes comes from Veggieful at www.veggieful.com
- Brushing the pastry with soy milk makes a huge difference. I have tried them both ways by spraying with oil and also brushing them with soy milk. Brushing the sausage rolls with soy milk makes them crunchier and puffier with a better golden color!
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired.