Vegan Baked Mac N Cheese
If you ask someone what their favorite dish is you often hear “mac and cheese.” It’s also what people say is the hardest thing they gave up when ditching dairy. But, the truth is, you don’t have to give it up! You can still get that ooey gooey cheesy goodness if you have the right mix of ingredients. Let me tell you how it’s done.
- 1 packed cup cooked sweet potato, cooled and skinned
- 1 packed cup cauliflower, cooked and cooled
- 4 tablespoons white miso paste
- 1 ¾ teaspoon salt. Add it gradually though to get it just right for you.
- ¾ cup (12 tablespoons) nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon wholegrain or Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk (cashew or soy is best)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 14oz macaroni or penne
For the crumb topping:
- 3 slices bread (I use white bread)
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter or olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Add all of the sauce ingredients except the butter and salt to a blender and blend until completely smooth. Add the salt gradually to taste and blend a little in between each addition, tasting as you go. Salt really brings out the cheesiness so it is important to be generous with it.
- Cook your pasta as instructed on packaging.
- Pour the cheese sauce from the blender into a pan and warm through over a medium heat, stirring constantly until it is hot (about 5 minutes). Finish with the butter. It adds a lovely richness and extra glossiness! Remove from heat.
- Drain the pasta, return to the pan and stir in the sauce.
- Quickly wash out and dry your blender, then break the bread into pieces and place in the blender with the butter or olive oil and clove of garlic. Blend until it gets crumbly.
- Spoon the cheesy macaroni into an oven proof dish, sprinkle over the crumbs evenly, then place in the oven and cook for 20 – 25 minutes or until it is piping hot and the crumb topping is golden brown and crispy. Serve immediately and enjoy!