Vegan Cauliflower Tacos with Crispy Coconut Crust
I never get tired of #TacoTuesday because there are so many different kinds of tacos out there! Today we’re cooking up some Vegan Cauliflower Tacos with Crispy Coconut Crust. They have a mouthwatering deep-fried crisp (without the oil!) – you would never know they are actually healthy! And pairing them with a sweet mustard sauce really wakes up those tastebuds!
- 1 medium cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons organic cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup of unflavored, unsweetened plant milk (I like unflavored almond)
- ¼ cup Panko breadcrumbs (for gluten-free)
- ¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¾ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric (optional)
- Light Sprinkling of cayenne pepper (optional – adds heat) about ⅛ teaspoon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 4 tortillas
- Optional toppings – sliced avocado, sliced jalapeno peppers, shredded red cabbage & salsa
- ⅛ cup vegan mayonnaise
- ⅛ cup Dijon mustard
- ⅛ cup Maple Syrup
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the plant milk, cornstarch, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl whisk together the breadcrumbs, shredded coconut, paprika, cumin, turmeric, salt, cayenne if using and some fresh ground black pepper.
- Take a cauliflower floret and place it in the plant milk mixture, flipping it over to make sure all sides are covered.
- Next, place that piece of cauliflower in the breadcrumb mixture, pressing it down and flipping it over to make sure it’s coated evenly on both sides.
- Transfer the breaded piece of cauliflower to the lined baking sheet. Repeat with all remaining florets of cauliflower.
- Bake the breaded cauliflower for approximately 30 minutes or until they are golden brown and crispy. Keep an eye on them the last ten minutes so they don’t burn.
- Serve on a warm tortilla smeared with sweet mustard sauce. Toppings can include avocado, purple cabbage, sliced jalapeño and salsa.
- Whisk together all the ingredients.
Recipe from ordinaryvegan.net.