We’re Feeling Fall with this Warm Vegan Chili
October 5th, 2018 | no comments
It’s finally starting to feel like fall here in LA (well, kinda) and we’re bringing out the light jackets and comfort food! This chili recipe is perfect for warming your belly and heart, and it’s super easy and cheap to make!
- 1 3/4 cups dried red beans or 2 cans cooked beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper
- 1/2 cup diced red pepper
- 1 1/2 cup diced tomato
- 1 (2.5 cups) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne powder
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- In a non-stick frying pan, heat the olive oil on medium high heat. Add chopped garlic and onion and cook until golden brown. Add the diced green pepper, red pepper and tomato and saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, cumin, cayenne powder, salt and pepper and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the red beans (you can use cooked beans or cook them in plenty of boiling water for about 1 or 2 hours) and the water or vegetable broth. Cook over medium heat for 30 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Serve with tortilla chips or on top of rice.
Pledge to try veg
Sign up to get great tips and recipes