9 veg-friendly documentaries to binge-watch
Whether you’re ready to learn more about animal protection, the environment, or your health, these 9 veg-friendly documentaries are just the place to start.
After a long day, nothing beats winding down with a Netflix or Hulu binge. The best part? You can indulge in your documentary-and-popcorn ritual while educating yourself about the benefits of plant-based foods.
Sit back, relax, and dive into fascinating stories about health, animal protection, and the environmental impact of the factory farming industry—all without budging from your couch.
- Earthlings (2005) – Narrated by Joaquin Phoenix, this hidden-camera documentary explores the hidden world of animal exploitation. If you’re ready to explore the ethical aspects of eating plant-based, look no further. Earthlings is the perfect place to start!
- Game Changers (2018) – Produced by heavy hitters like Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jackie Chan, and Lewis Hamilton, this film explores how plant-based foods are helping athletes, soldiers, and first responders improve their health and endurance.
- You Are What You Eat: A Twin Experiment (2023) – This docuseries brought the benefits of plant-based eating to the masses with its debut on Netflix. Follow four sets of twins as they are each divided into two groups: one twin in each set is tasked with eating plant-based foods, while the other follows an omnivore lifestyle. Together, they’ll discover how food impacts health…even in people who share the same genes.
- Forks Over Knives (2011) – Did you know that many of the leading causes of death can be avoided with plant-based foods? Hear from doctors and researchers about how food could extend your life…or cut it short.
- Live and Let Live (2013) – This film tells the story of six different people–including a former butcher and a former factory farm worker–who began their plant-based transitions. It also has a few members from our organization, Animal Equality!
- Cowspiracy: The Sustainability Secret (2014) – This film explores how animal agriculture has become the leading cause of environmental destruction and how the meat industry has concealed its role in causing climate change.
- What the Health (2017) – With healthcare costs and chronic diseases on the rise, where are consumers to turn? This documentary highlights everything the factory farming industry doesn’t want you to know about your health…and just how far its corruption has reached.
- Seaspiracy (2021) – From the same creators as Cowspiracy and What the Health, this documentary delves into the global fishing industry’s environmental devastation. It even discusses how eco-friendly and humane seafood labels aren’t quite what meets the eye.
- Dominion (2018) – Joaquin Phoenix, Rooney Mara, and Sia are just some of the influential narrators of this award-winning Australian documentary. Investigative footage of the factory farming industry begs the question: do humans have a moral right to exploit animals?